Conceived by Franco Botticelli's passion and enterprising spirit, the gallery first opened in Florence in 1959. Franco was a painter and an art collector who turned into an innovative antique dealer. Franco and his wife Veria managed the gallery, located at 40/r Via Maggio, until 1994. At Franco's premature passing, his children Eleonora and Bruno continued in their father's footsteps, specializing in sculpture and "alta epoca" furniture.
The gallery has since moved to 27 Via Maggio. Bruno and Eleonora broadened their father's field of expertise, using their passion for the rare and uncommon. The art proposed by the gallery ranges from renaissance sculptures and Wunderkammer objects to ancient fabrics and primitive paintings. They managed to build an impressive reputation through keen attention to quality and careful research of the artworks they propose. Since the first editions of the Florence Biennale dell'Antiquariato (BIAF) in the 1960s, Botticelli Antichità has shown an interest in merging the expertise in Reinassance and Medieval art with an interest in the contemporary. This eclectic approach to art originates in Franco's in-depth knowledge and passion for Tuscan art of the 20th century. Eleonora and Bruno continue this approach by often exhibiting young contemporary artists, in a constant search of connections between the old and the new. Recently they have collaborated with the contemporary art gallery Galleria Continua.